In this video, I’m going to talk you through some different techniques that I use when Im building percussion in a track.
Please make sure you are listening to the video with full range speakers or headphones to hear the results accurately.
You are going to learn how to:
● Equalise the top-end, emphasize the nice parts of the frequency spectrum.
● Equalise left and right channels separately to help bring out the width.
● Tune the tom sounds using Ableton’s Spectrum Tool.
● Add movement with the use of delay.
● Introduce a short burst of white noise to emphasise the off-beat.
● Automate the reverb to create tension.
This video was created inside Ableton Live, but the same techniques can be applied to any DAW.
Let us know in the comments if you have any strange or unusual techniques that you use when you process percussion.