Arpeggios have been an important part of melodic electronic dance music for a number of years. They can be extremely powerful, however, they can be a very lazy way of creating melodies.
In this video, I’m going to show you a few techniques I’ve developed over the years. They will make your arps sound less like a ringtone and more like something people will want to listen to.
Techniques I will cover:
• Using a noise osc for more bite and crunch.
• Automation to make the arp less static.
• Adding additional MIDI notes to strengthen the melodic structure.
• Recording filter automation to add a human touch.
• Using transposition to add interest.
Don’t just leave an arp playing. Change parameters over time so that the sequence less static.
How you do you keep your arps interesting? Let us know in the comments below!